Disciplinary research at Institut Polytechnique de Paris is based on the expertise of its founding schools. Computer science, data and artificial intelligence is one of ten disciplinary research fields bringing together top researchers and PhD students at state-of the art laboratories and infrastructures.
The development of information technology has profoundly changed our society and given rise to new disciplines such as the processing of big, heterogeneous data and artificial intelligence to help produce new knowledge. In our digital society, research has never been so crucial in order to develop new methods and algorithms with wide-ranging impacts – whether on industry, the economy, sustainable development, or in other disciplinary areas where these new tools are needed to more fully analyze the data produced by their experiments and simulations.
Fundamental and applied research in computer science, data and artificial intelligence at the Institut Polytechnique de Paris aims to:
- Contribute to the foundations of computer science with a particular focus on interactions with mathematics,
- Develop powerful algorithms to provide the basis for an efficient, reliable and secure digital world,
- Develop algorithms and statistical processing methods for learning, optimization and data analysis,
- Explore and roll out new AI applications for industry and society.
The main research topics of the CS department are
- Computer science
- Data analysis, machine learning, artificial intelligence
- Modeling, simulation
- Computer graphics and computer vision; virtual and augmented reality
- Formal, semantic, algorithmic verification, foundations of computer science
- Combinatorics, computer algebra
- Distributed systems
- Networks and systems
- Internet of Things
- Communications security and effectiveness
- Signal and image processing
The CS department of IP Paris is in charge of coordinating all teaching activities of the schools of IP Paris in computer science, data and artificial intelligence. Its first constructions are the master and PhD tracks in computer science.
The goal of this program is to teach students the theoretical foundations and the various concepts and tools of computer science. The program offers a vast coverage of different areas, including systems, networks, artificial intelligence, and cybersecurity, as well as algorithms and human-computer interaction. The program has a focus on research, and aims to integrate students into research labs through projects and during the master’s thesis, in order to prepare them for a PhD