When you arrive in France
When you arrive at IP Paris, especially from a foreign country, you may have to do some basic administrative work.
French Phone Number
- First, go to a tabac store for temporary sim card (There is a tabac store near Telecom building)
- Main French service providers:
- SFR (https://www.sfr.fr/)
- Free (https://www.free.fr/)
- RedSFR (https://www.red-by-sfr.fr/)
- Bouygues Telecom (https://www.bouyguestelecom.fr/)
Opening a French Bank Account
For most of your administrative process, you will need a french bank account. RIB or “Relevé d’Identité Bancaire” is a document which details your bank coordinates. When setting up direct debits or arranging transfers into your account you may be asked for a copy. Here is a list of the main banks that you can find in France:
- BNP Paribas
- Crédit Agricole
- Société Générale
- Crédit Mutuel – CIC
VLS-TS long-stay visa validation (Link)Within 3 months of your arrival in France, you MUST validate your VLS-TS.
If you have not taken this step within the allotted time, you will no longer be legally resident in France and, as a result, you will not be able to cross the Schengen area border again!
The process is now completely paperless. To start the validation procedure for your visa, go to the following portal: https://administration-etrangers-en-france.interieur.gouv.fr/particuliers/#/
You will need:
- information on your visa,
- communicate your date of entry into France
- your residence address in France and
- your (bank) payment card to pay online the tax for issuing a residence permit or an electronic stamp corresponding to your situation, which you can obtain at a tabac store after checking the amount of the tax. Depending on the reason for your stay, you will be summoned to complete additional formalities, undergo a medical examination and/or sign a Republican integration contract.
Health Insurance (Ameli) → Mandatory
You will need to register on the Ameli web site for coverage of your health care expenses throughout your time in higher education. Registration is mandatory and free of charge. It will entitle you to reimbursement of a part of your health care expenses (especially, the health insurance takes charge of the fees for a long stay at hospital). You should also read the useful information provided on this web site.
To be reimbursed for your health care expenses at the highest possible rate, you can take out supplementary health care coverage or coverage from a mutual fund (“mutuelle”).
Will be added soon….